How To Get Rid Of Smile Lines
Smile lines, also known as laugh lines or nasolabial folds, are the creases that run from the sides of your nose to the corners of your mouth. They are a natural part of the ageing process and can appear more prominent in people who smile or laugh frequently. While smile lines are a sign of a life well-lived, many people seek ways to reduce their appearance. In this guide we explore the best treatments for how to get rid of smile lines.
There are two key reasons why smile lines form. The first is that the fat pads in the mid and lower face shrink with age which leads to loss of volume in the face giving rise to skin sagging. Alongside this, loss of collagen and elastin in the skin causes smile lines to form due to decreased skin elasticity and thickness. Repetitive facial expressions, such as smiling or laughing, can also cause the skin to crease and deepen over time but this is a minor cause compared to face volume loss and skin ageing.
While smile lines are not a medical concern, some people choose to address them for cosmetic reasons. Many address their smile lines to boost confidence and improve self-esteem.
How to Get Rid of Smile Lines with Natural Remedies
If you don’t want to go down the treatment route yet, there are some natural remedies you can try. These include:
- Facial exercises – These exercises involve specific facial movements that target the muscles around the mouth, cheeks and jawline. Regular facial exercises can help tone and strengthen these muscles, which can reduce the appearance of smile lines.
- Facial massage – Massaging the face regularly can help improve blood flow and lymphatic drainage, promoting skin health and reducing fine lines and wrinkles — including smile lines.
- Aloe vera – Aloe vera is a natural anti-inflammatory that can help improve skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Applying aloe vera gel to the skin regularly can help reduce the appearance of smile lines.
While these natural remedies can help reduce the appearance of smile lines. However, as with anything in life, they may not work for everyone. Also its important to have realistic expectations. There’s obviously a limit to what these measures can achieve and understand that they will likely not get rid of smile lines completely.
Best Skincare Treatments for Smile Lines
Certain ingredients can help reduce smile lines. Consider adding these to your skincare routine:
- Antioxidants – Look for ingredients like Vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant. It helps protect the skin from free radical damage. Studies have also shown it can help boost collagen production. This can reduce the appearance of smile lines.
- Exfoliating Acids – These exfoliate the skin and stimulate cell turnover to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Look for AHAs like glycolic or lactic acid if you have normal skin. Beta-hydroxy acids will achieve a similar result if you have oily skin whilst Polyhydroxy acid is great for more sensitive skin.
- Retinoids – Retinol and prescription retinoids like Tretinoin are vitamin A derivatives commonly used in anti-ageing skincare products. They work by increasing cell turnover and collagen production. This can help reduce the appearance of smile lines. Retinoids should be used with care, as they can cause skin irritation and sensitivity.
- Peptides — Peptides are short chains of amino acids that can help stimulate collagen production in the skin. Look for products with copper or palmitoyl peptides.
- Moisturisers – Keeping your skin hydrated helps reduce the appearance of smile lines. Look for a moisturiser containing hyaluronic acid or glycerin, to help draw moisture into the skin. Squalene is also great. It acts as a filler which helps smooth wrinkles.
- Sunscreen – Protecting the skin from sun damage is essential in reducing the appearance of smile lines and stopping them from progressing. Look for a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 daily.
Botox for Smile Lines
Botox is a medical skin treatment that involves injecting a purified form of botulinum toxin into the skin muscles to temporarily relax them. When injected into the muscles around the mouth it can help reduce the appearance of smile lines and prevent them from creasing or deepening.
Some of the benefits of using Botox for smile lines:
- It is a minimally invasive treatment that is delivered in a short amount of time.
- It can provide visible results within a few days and last for several months.
- It can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, making the skin look smoother and more youthful.
However, some cons to using Botox for smile lines include the following:
- It is a temporary treatment and the effects will wear off over time.
- It can be expensive, with costs varying depending on the location and amount of Botox needed.
- It can have potential side effects, including asymmetry, bruising, swelling and headaches, and you’ll need to follow Botox aftercare guidance.
- It is only effective if you want to get rid of mild smile lines
Dermal fillers for smile lines
Dermal fillers are a cosmetic treatment that involves injecting a colourless gel into the skin. This helps add volume and smooth out fine lines and wrinkles. This is most commonly done using hyaluronic acid dermal fillers which are temporary and dissolvable. In the case of smile lines, practitioners use dermal fillers to fill in the deep creases around the mouth that occur when smiling or laughing. Filler is sometimes also put in the cheek area to help replace the volume loss. This can help soften or even get rid of smile lines.
Dermal fillers work by plumping up the skin. They fill in areas where ageing or other factors have caused the volume to be lost. This can help to reduce the appearance of smile lines. Some of the pros of using dermal fillers for smile lines include the following:
- They can provide immediate results lasting for several months or even up to a year.
- They are minimally invasive and typically do not require any downtime.
- They can help restore volume to the skin, making it look smoother and more youthful.
However, there are also cons to using dermal fillers for smile lines, including:
- First, they are a temporary solution, and the effects will wear off.
- They can be expensive, varying depending on the location and the amount of filler needed.
- Finally, they can have potential side effects, including unsatisfactory results, lumps, bruising, swelling and infection.
Profhilo for smile lines
Loss of skin elasticity and thickness is a primary cause of smile lines. Thats why treatments that boost collagen and elastin production can help. Profhilo is an injectable hyaluronic acid that acts as a biostimulant. It causes skin cells to increase their production of proteins that are critical for the structure of your skin. It also promotes vascularisation which helps nourish the skin.
Profhilo won’t get rid of or conceal severe smile lines in the way dermal fillers can. However, it provides a good alternative to fillers and Botox for mild smile lines. It can also be used alongside Botox and/or fillers to enhance the overall treatment effect for moderate to severe lines. Other treatments that can achieve a similar effect to Profhilo include microneedling or RF microneedling and laser therapy. There are also other skin booster alternatives like Juverderm Volite.
Prevention of smile lines
Smile lines can actually be prevented or minimised by taking care of your skin and overall health. Exposure to UV rays from the sun can cause damage to the skin and speed up the ageing process. This leads to the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. It’s also essential to wear sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30. You should reapply it every two hours when spending time outdoors to prevent smile lines.
Keeping your skin hydrated can also help prevent fine lines and wrinkles forming. Drink plenty of water, moisturise and avoid harsh cleansers. This is the best way to keep your skin hydrated and healthy.
Certain life style habits can speed up ageing and cause premature wrinkles. Aim to maintain a healthy lifestyle to reduce skin ageing. This includes eating a nutrient rich diet and getting enough sleep. Also avoid harmful habits such as smoking and drinking to excess as these cause your skin to age. All of these measures can prevent smile lines from developing or getting worse.
Developing a regular skincare routine that includes gentle cleansing, moisturising, and exfoliating can help prevent smile lines forming. Using antioxidant skincare products like as vitamin C, can help protect the skin from damage and keep it looking healthy.
Book a consultation with City Skin Clinic
Although smile lines are a natural part of ageing, they are a common skin concern. However, there are many options that can help. Before launching our online skin clinic, we had years of experience in providing non-surgical aesthetic treatments at City Skin Clinic. This included treatments like Botox wrinkle injections, dermal fillers, chemical peels and microneedling. Amongst other skin concerns, we used these treatments to help get rid of smile lines in countless faces!
We have always prided ourselves on delivering bespoke treatments to enhance and celebrate the individual beauty of our clients. That is why we set up our online skincare clinic. Through our virtual clinic, our doctors offer safe and effective prescription strength treatments. These include Tretinoin to treat conditions like wrinkles and skin ageing, acne and hyperpigmentation. Better still, you can access our skincare treatments and services all from the comfort of your home. Book a virtual consultation with one of our doctors and take your first step towards great skin.