Ageing skin is not a skin type per se in the sense that all skin types (e.g. oily, combination, normal, acne-prone or dry skin) age. There are however a distinct set of characteristics that are unique to ageing skin which makes it worthwhile to adopt a skincare routine specifically for it. Firstly, no matter what your skin type is, everyone’s skin becomes drier as we get older. Ageing skin is typified by loss of collagen and elastin which results in reduced elasticity, sagging and thinning. There are internal causes of skin ageing like genetics and the biological factors like reduced blood supply and reduced cell regeneration which occurs with time. In addition, there are external (and avoidable) causes of ageing skin such as pollution, sun damage and pollution. In addition, poor nutrition and lack of proper skincare can also accelerate skin ageing.
Regardless of your skin type, there are some essential skincare steps that can reduce the signs of skin ageing. A good skincare routine for ageing skin should aim to prevent any further triggers of skin ageing and reduce or reverse signs of the skin ageing such as volume loss or wrinkles.
“Ageing skin is common to all skin types and is caused by both internal and external factors. The focus of any skincare routine for ageing skin should be preventing further ageing and focus on changes such as loss of volume and elasticity, wrinkles as well as pigmentatory changes.”
In addition to understanding your skin type you should identify your main skincare concerns and goals. For ageing skin this maybe lines, wrinkles and loss of volume. In addition to looking after ageing skin with a good skincare routine, you should also make simple lifestyle changes like stopping smoking and using sun protection. Below is a fully customisable skincare routine for ageing skin that will help you protect your skin and reduce the appearance of skin ageing to revive and rejuvenate your skin.
Daily Skincare Routine
- Cleanse your skin with a hydrating cleanser.
- Tone with a glycolic acid containing toner.
- Essence (Extra) is a very good add-on if you also have dry skin, Look for an essence with hyaluronic acid.
- Serum (Extra) is really worthwhile for ageing skin. In the mornings use a Vitamin C serum as its an anti-oxidant that can help stimulate collagen production and helps brighten skin (especially good if you have sun spots).
- Moisturise with a hydrating product that contains hyaluronic acid, Vitamins B5, C (if you don’t use a serum) and E.
- Protect your skin with at least SPF 30 which you should top up if you’re working outside.
- Double Cleanse with a cleansing oil to remove all traces of makeup and pollutants. Follow up with a glycolic foaming cleanser (you might want to start with every other night first then build up tolerance) to resurface your skin.
- Essence (Extra) use the same product you applied in the morning.
- Tone with the same product you used in the morning.
- Serum (Extra) at night should always be Retinol. Retinol serum will reduce lines and wrinkles, exfoliate the skin and fade away any signs of sun damage.
- Moisturise with the same product that you used in the morning if you’re using a retinol serum. If you are not using a retinol serum, then switch to a night cream that contains retinol. Finish off your night time routine by applying a Retinol and hyaluronic acid eye cream which will hydrate, help brighten dark under eye circles and smooth away smile lines.
Best Skincare Ingredients For Ageing Skin
- Dry skin and loss of volume or elasticity: hyaluronic acid absorbs 1000 times its own volume in water and should thus be your go-to skincare ingredient for hydration. Vitamin C, on the other hand, is a very powerful anti-oxidant which is also thought to stimulate collagen production over time and hence can help with skin firmness.
- Dullness and rough texture: chemical exfoliants containing alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), of which glycolic acid is the most important, will help remove dead cells and improve skin radiance as well as smooth texture and fine lines or wrinkles.
- Sun damage, fine lines & wrinkles: Retinol is the only over the counter skincare product that has been shown to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. It also helps exfoliate skin and even out skin tone.
Weekly Skincare Routine
Once a week you should set aside a little time to indulge your skin:
- Exfoliate with a good enzyme exfoliator to help prepare the surface of your skin.
- Multi-mask by starting with a glycolic acid face mask which will target wrinkles, rough texture, dullness and sun damage. Finish off with a hydrating clay mask if you have more oily prone skin or a richly moisturising mask if you have dry skin.
For ageing skin there are several professional treatment options which can complement and enhance the effects of your skincare routine. At City Skin Clinic, we offer a number of bespoke skin treatments for ageing skin in London. Our chemical peels help resurface skin to improve texture, even out pigmentation and reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles. With collagen induction therapy we help promote the generation of firmer and plumper skin. If you want a faster acting solution for wrinkles and lines then explore our anti-wrinkle injections using Botox and fillers. For volume loss and facial contouring we offer dermal fillers for lifting and sculpting the face.
When it comes to ageing skin, there are a phenomenal number of skincare products available. It is wise to take some time and explore beyond the marketing and claims. To help you get started, here are a few of our favourite skincare products for ageing skin at the moment:
Cleansing: DHC Deep Cleansing Oil for the first cleanse in the evening to clean pores and remove makeup. Follow it up with Neostrata foaming glycolic wash. In the mornings, use a simple hydrating cleanser like Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser.
Essence: HANSKIN Hyaluron Skin Essence helps deliver greater hydration as it contains a smaller version of hyaluronic acid.
Masking: begin with REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask which will resurface and retexture your skin. Finish with Charlotte Tilbury Multi-Miracle Glow Mask for dry skin or Charlotte Tilbury Goddess Skin Clay Mask if you have oily skin.
Book An Appointment Online
Bespoke skin treatments in London