Many patients who visit City Skin Clinic wish to reduce their wrinkles and achieve a more youthful appearance. We offer two forms of treatment that can help with this – anti-wrinkle treatment in the form of muscle relaxing anti-wrinkle injections and dermal fillers wrinkle treatments. This blog will discuss these aesthetic treatments in their entirety and how each one differs.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are a soft, gel-like substance that can be injected beneath the skin. The injections help restore volume into different areas around the face, such as the cheeks, mouth and lips. As well as restoring volume in specific areas, dermal fillers can smooth out lines and soften any creases in the skin. This procedure can be used as a wrinkle treatment as it replaces lost volume and fills in hollows, folds and creases to help patients achieve their desired, youthful look with natural-looking results. The procedure is minimally invasive, outcomes are immediately visible and whilst results are temporary there is no commitment to repeating the treatment. Once the dermal fillers wear off, your face simply returns to how it was.
How Do Dermal Fillers Work?
Dermal fillers add volume to specific parts of the face and can minimise the appearance of any wrinkles or fine lines. The common areas where people get dermal fillers are the:
- Lips to restore shape and smooth the outline
- Cheeks to replace lost volume and treat nose to mouth lines
- Jawline to restore structure and shape as well as treat jowls and sagging
- Around the mouth to treat smokers lines, marionette lines and nose to mouth lines
- Under eyes to treat hollows, circles and bags as well as smooth lines
Depending on your treatment goals, a series of injections can be involved in the procedure to directly target lines and wrinkles and indirectly soften their appearance by treating surrounding areas.
At City Skin Clinic, one of our aesthetic medical professionals will numb the targeted area of your face with an anaesthetic cream before administering the injection. This will help to make the process more comfortable for you.
There are several different types of dermal filler, but Hyaluronic Acid is most commonly used as it is a natural substance found in our bodies so has a low risk of allergy and it is temporary as well as dissolvable hence is safer. We offer Hyaluronic Acid Dermal Fillers here at City Skin Clinic as it provides our clients with excellent results and has an established high safety record.
For more detailed information about what dermal fillers are and how they work, we recommend reading our dermal fillers guide.
What Are Anti-Wrinkle Injections and how do they work?
Anti-wrinkle injections are a popular procedure used to minimise the appearance of lines, wrinkles and other signs of ageing in the skin. The injection freezes the muscles in your face that cause wrinkles to appear. The typical areas where people get anti-wrinkle injections are the forehead, eye and frown areas. This treatment is very effective in wrinkles that are dynamic (ie they appear only when you express your face) but can not eliminate ingrained wrinkles or treat deep lines and folds such as those around the mouth or jowling which are caused by volume loss.
There are several different types of anti-wrinkle injection. The most commonly used is Botox, which we offer here at City Skin Clinic. We believe Botox anti-wrinkle injections give incredible results and are highly effective at freezing the muscles causing wrinkles, especially in the upper face, around the eyes and in the neck. We also combine anti-wrinkle injections with dermal filler wrinkle treatments in specialist treatments such as vertical lip lines and in our non-surgical brow lift.
How Long Do Dermal Fillers Last?
The longevity of your dermal filler will depend on several different factors – your skin type, type of filler used, and the area injected. The effects of the filler will usually last between six to eighteen months. However, if a patient wishes to maintain the look that their filler gives them, they will need to receive further injections in the future. This is something your aesthetic medical professional will discuss with you during your consultation.
How Long Do Anti-Wrinkle Injections Last?
Botox anti-wrinkle injections are not a permanent procedure and wear off after a few months. However, the effect of the injections usually lasts for around three to four months on average. If you are new to this procedure, we recommend receiving the treatment approximately three to four times in the first year. This is to ensure that the effects of your anti-wrinkle injections are maintained. Most patients will eventually need less frequent top-ups after having anti-wrinkle injections consistently for a period of time as the muscle stay relaxed and the effect lasts for longer each time This will be discussed during your follow-up consultation.
Dermal Fillers Vs Anti-Wrinkle Injections
Some people struggle to establish the difference between dermal fillers with Botox. On the surface, both of these aesthetic treatments share some similarities. However, the way that they work is very different. Both treatments are minimally invasive and require no surgery, and they both aim to target lines and wrinkles. One big difference between the two is that dermal fillers can add volume to the face, while Botox can’t.
Botox is only effective on facial lines that are caused by muscle movement. The way it works is also a lot different from dermal fillers. It freezes the muscles in the targeted area. This minimises the lack of movement in that area, which helps to soften fine lines and reduce their size, unlike dermal fillers, which plump out the skin to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Whilst both are temporary, the effects of Botox usually take 2-3 weeks to appear and are not reversible until they wear off which is usually in 3-4 months. The outcomes of hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are usually seen straight away and although they can last up to 18-24 months depending on the type of filler, they can be dissolved immediately with hyalase injections.
The truth is that they are both invaluable in treating the signs of skin ageing. Botox anti-wrinkle injections are excellent for use in treating wrinkles caused by muscle movement particularly in the upper face and around the eyes. Dermal filler wrinkle treatments are especially valuable in treating deep lines such as marionette lines and nasolabial folds as well as replacing lost volume in the middle and lower face. More often than not they are used in combination to restore youthfulness to the face and prevent additional line/wrinkle formation or exacerbation of current signs of skin ageing.
Benefits Of Dermal Fillers
There are many benefits of dermal filler injections so it’s easy to see why so many people opt for this type of treatment. Take a look at some of the reasons why patients undergo this procedure below:
- Helps you achieve a natural look: Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers help the patient achieve a natural look by restoring lost face volume and lifting deep wrinkles and folds.
- The procedure is reversible: The procedure is not permanent. Dermal fillers dissolve over a period of months and are absorbed by the body. They can be reversed immediately if needed This makes them safer to use in the face and patients can reverse the effects if they do not like the results.
- Minimises the appearance of fine lines, scarring and wrinkles: The treatment helps patients achieve smoother-looking skin by pumping it up and adding some extra volume and support.
- Confidence boosting: Many of our patients have reported an increase in their confidence levels after the treatment as they have achieved their desired look.
- Non-invasive procedure: The procedure requires no surgery, and the recovery time is minimal. You can resume your normal daily activities after treatment.
Benefits Of Anti-Wrinkle Injections
Much like dermal fillers, anti-wrinkle injections also have a long list of benefits associated with the procedure. Take a look at some of them below:
- Non-invasive procedure: The procedure requires no surgery, and the effectiveness of the injections is not permanent, so you don’t have to fully commit to a significant change in your appearance.
- Rejuvenates the skin: After the treatment kicks in, your skin is left looking rejuvenated, smoother and fresher.
- Helps you achieve a more youthful, natural-looking appearance: As the treatment reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, patients can enjoy a natural, more youthful look.
- Delivers quick results: Unlike anti-ageing products, Botox injections provide immediate and dramatic results. You may notice the results as soon as a few days after treatment.
- No recovery time required: After the treatment, you can resume your normal daily activities. There is no need to book time off to get the procedure done.
Dermal Fillers Cost UK
The cost of dermal fillers in the UK will vary depending on the clinic/surgeon you use and the type of procedure you are having. Our fees for a single treatment start at £350 and go up depending on the aims of your treatment, choice and amount of filler and region of the face. Your doctor will discuss this with you during your consultation. We urge you to book your treatment with a medical clinic like City Skin Clinic. Our team is highly qualified and can reassure you that you are in the right hands.
Anti-Wrinkle Injections Cost UK
The cost of anti-wrinkle injections will vary depending on the type of injections you’re having and the clinic/surgeon where you are undergoing your treatment. At City Skin Clinic, we have a range of different price points. Please refer to the fees section of our website. Prices can start as little as £200 for one treatment area of the upper face and go up to £350 for single areas like the neck or jaw.
Our team of experienced aesthetic medical professionals is highly qualified and would love to help you achieve your desired look. We start your treatment with a consultation to discuss the process with you. We also pride ourselves on our attentive aftercare, truly getting to know you. For more information regarding our services, you can book a consultation via our website.